It’s the perfect time of year for scouting around car boot sales with all the family. At both our Big Boot sale in Morecambe and out A6 boot sale in Carnforth we have something for all the family. We have a cafe, wheelchair access and an inflatable slide; so there is no reason not to spend your weekend in the summer sun finding some bargains treasures! We have made a list of 10 top tips for all you buyers!
- Lots of booters will change the price depending on who you are and how you look. If you are walking around with that expensive handbag you are screaming “I will pay anything for a pretty saucer”. Dress casual to keep the price right!
- Play dumb! If it is obvious you like something the booters are more likely to put the price up. Play it cool and slyly eye it from afar then say “thats unusual, I’ve never seen anything like that before”. Then give it a quick once over and pitch your price.
- Ask for more. Quite often booters have similar products of a similar age and style. So if you are looking for that perfect tea set or a set of antiques then it is always worth asking if the seller has more. They may be planning to come back at a later date so they may take your contact details and get in touch.
- ALWAYS search the boxes under the table because quite often that is where you will find that hidden treasure. Booters tend to place items that they think are valuable up front and in prime positions but more often than not the things they think are valuable are very different to your idea of valuable.
- Take plenty of bags with you. Booters can often underestimate how many bags they will need. So take your own just to be on the safe side, you don’t want something breaking on the car journey home.
- Haggle but not too much. Is it really worth the agg for 20p.
- Make a day of it and bring all the family. Whilst it is a good rule to get there early there are often more bargains to be had later in the day. At our Big Boot and A6 boot sales we have something for all the family, so bring everyone down!
- Check items for damaging and sizing. Make sure any labels will peel off without damaging the item and if you are buying clothes be sure to check the seems and the clothing for stains.
- Why not ask for a bit of discount if you are buying multiple items? The worst they can say is no!
- Make a list of the spaces you want to fill in your home. This will give you a good indication of what treasures will be perfect for you at the boot sale. It is also a good idea to take a tape measure to check things will fit in the space you want them to!
We hope these 10 top tips for buyers helps you have success at car boot sales time and time again. We are set for a dry and sunny weekend so be sure to check out our Big Boot sale in Morecambe on Saturday and our A6 boot sale in Carnforth on Sunday. And don’t forget to bring all the family!